Monday, December 20, 2004

There's a Little Bit of NYC in All of Us

During a recent visit to Tampa's International Plaza, imagine my surprise upon finding this:

Posted by Hello
Am I back in NYC? Is this really the mall? Ah yes, I remember reading about this now, this is Abercrombie & Fitch's new retail concept, Ruehl 925. As you can see, the shop looks like it could be in a street in the Village. Notice the passers-by to the left gazing puzzledly at the sight?

But do not fret, this is not Abercrombie & Fitch: there is no way you would ever confuse this for an Abercrombie & Fitch store. Down the mall, a half-naked (read: no shirt on!) young man just inside the entrance greets customers there. Here, one sees only a stand of elegant white flowers, the ubiquitous sign of chic.
Upon entering the shop, the first thing I notice is just how dark it really is. It is designed to feel as if one is entering a hip New Yorker's brownstone, complete with mood lighting and separate "rooms". As a former sales associate at a retail clothing establishment, I immediately think of the hell of the shoplifter. It seems like it would be a stealer's paradise--dark nooks and crannies to rip tags off and stuff garments into one's bag.

I shrug this off and attempt to look at the clothing itself. The styles are simple, yet fashionable. Sort of a Banana Republic feel and pricing, in a cooler environment. I must admit to having a bit of fun in the shop. As it is set up as a true townhouse with separate rooms, it feels slightly maze-like. However, this gives the shopper a sense of exploration, wondering what will be around the next corner. The one objection I had was the overwhelming scent that pervaded the air--they have strategically placed fragrance samplers in each "room".

One question continues to plague me: Why Tampa? The International Plaza does have quite a broad selection of shops, from Vuitton and Neiman Marcus, to Quicksilver and Swatch. In this location, they would get a read from a variety of shoppers. I presume it works in Tampa, as opposed to Orlando for example, because there is this upscale element. Yes, there are people with money in the area. With a lot of money. And they won't feel like they are buying crap in here, even though the price points are more reasonable. Plus, the folks who do not have as much money will feel like they are shopping somewhere ritzy. I guess what it comes down to is that there's a little bit of New York in all of us.

1 Comments:

Blogger Milo G. said...

Hey, I was wondering if you took more pictures of the ruehl by chance? I have my own blog about it and am always looking for more pictures. So sad that they started great and got worse and worse until they closed :/

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home